- 1 How do you put fabric in a trunk?
- 2 How do you restore an old wood trunk?
- 3 How do you line an old trunk with cedar?
- 4 How do you finish the inside of an antique trunk?
- 5 What do you use to line a trunk?
- 6 How old is my antique trunk?
- 7 How do you get old paper out of a trunk?
- 8 How do you refurbish an old steamer trunk?
- 9 How do you restore the inside of a steamer trunk?
- 10 How do you clean an antique trunk tin?
- 11 How do you line a cedar chest?
- 12 What are cedar closets for?
How do you put fabric in a trunk?
Roll one side of fabric away from the trunk and spray a light layer of the adhesive onto the trunk lid, according to the directions on the spray adhesive can. Then slowly begin laying the fabric in place, smoothing out any wrinkles or bubbles. Use an old credit card or gift card to help smooth over the fabric.
How do you restore an old wood trunk?
Please remember not to soak the trunk, it will ruin it. Carefully brush and wash away the dirt and grime from the outside, a tooth brush can be helpful in tight areas. Allow to dry thoroughly. 7) Sand the exposed wood and slats thoroughly, start with 150 grit sandpaper and work your way to 220 grit.
How do you line an old trunk with cedar?
How to Cedar Line a Trunk
- Start with the bottom. Cut and fit all pieces before adding glue.
- Glue the boards to the bottom of the trunk and let dry.
- Cut the pieces for the two ends of the trunk.
- Glue the end pieces into place.
- Measure and cut the boards to go on the two longer sides.
- Glue these side pieces and let the glue dry.
How do you finish the inside of an antique trunk?
Vinegar or Charcoal. To get the ” old ” smell out, try putting a small (open) jar or bowl of white vinegar inside the trunk and close the top. Leave it for a few days, and see if it isn’t much better. If that doesn’t work, charcoal in an open bowl might do it for you.
What do you use to line a trunk?
Lining the inside of your trunk can be done in one of two ways, either with paper or fabric. Both are period correct but I highly suggest using fabric. When you line a trunk with fabric it not only looks very nice but is also durable and easier to clean when compared to paper lining.
How old is my antique trunk?
1) To be considered antique, trunks must be at least 100 years and cannot have been restored. This greatly affects their value and should definitely be taken into consideration when you’re looking to start or expand your collection.
How do you get old paper out of a trunk?
How To Remove Paper From Inside an Antique Trunk (Video) 3 parts vinegar 1 part water in spray bottle + good scraper spray down inside of trunk, do not soak wear gloves let sit for 15 min 100 grit sandpaper if lining trunk.
How do you refurbish an old steamer trunk?
Use a putty knife to remove old paper from the inside of a steamer trunk. Scrape old paper from the inside of the steamer trunk with a putty knife and remove excess glue, using a spray bottle with water and vinegar mixture.
How do you restore the inside of a steamer trunk?
I put vinegar water in a spray bottle and lightly sprayed the interior of the trunk. (the vinegar will also help get any lingering odors out of the trunk.) You want to be careful to not saturated the wood. The wood is very old and can warp if saturated by water.
How do you clean an antique trunk tin?
Use a wire brush attachment on a power drill, a hand brush and steel wool to clean the metal and hardware pieces very well. Wet sanding the metal is also helpful when removing rust is is probably the most effective way for getting down to solid metal.
How do you line a cedar chest?
Protect fabric items from contact with the natural oils in cedar by lining the chest with a white bed sheet that is free of any detergent, bleach or softener residue or line the inside of the chest with acid-free white tissue paper.
What are cedar closets for?
Cedar removes moisture from the air, so in humid climates, it will act as a natural dehumidifier and keep your clothes from developing mildew. Cedar’s natural smell is very pleasant and aromatic, so it will keep your home and your clothes smelling fresh, even as the scent protects them.