- 1 How do you source antiques?
- 2 Where do antique stores get their merchandise?
- 3 How do you shop for antiques?
- 4 Can you sell antiques to antique stores?
- 5 How do I know if my antiques are worth money?
- 6 What antiques are worth money?
- 7 Do antique shops make money?
- 8 How do I get into antique dealing?
- 9 Where is the best place to buy antiques online?
- 10 What to look out for when buying antiques?
- 11 What should I look for when buying antique furniture?
- 12 What’s the difference between antique and vintage?
- 13 Why antiques are not selling?
- 14 Is there an app to identify antiques?
- 15 Do pawn shops buy antiques?
How do you source antiques?
Antiques: Where Do You Find All This Stuff?
- Estate Sales.
- Garage Sales.
- Flea Markets.
- Live Auctions.
- Thrift Stores.
- Shops and Malls.
Where do antique stores get their merchandise?
Normally stores ‘ stock is sourced from auctions, estate sales, flea markets, garage sales, etc. Many items may pass through multiple antiques dealers along the product chain before arriving in a retail antiques shop.
How do you shop for antiques?
Antique Buying Guide: How to Shop for Vintage Items
- Make a Shopping List First. Photo via @affordablychicart.
- Do Your Research. Photo via @infalmouth.
- Explore All Options.
- Always Ask Questions.
- Steer Clear of Trendy Items.
- Inspect Antiques Thoroughly.
- Check the Authenticity.
- Keep an Eye Out for Fakes.
Can you sell antiques to antique stores?
Vintage and antique goods can often bring you money if you ‘re selling the right items. In my experience, selling at local antique shops will bring you fast money, but not necessarily the most cash. After all, local antique shops buy with the hope of re- selling at a profit.
How do I know if my antiques are worth money?
“In addition to online services and search engines, it is possible to find out how much your antiques are worth by simply asking an antique dealer or an appraiser at an auction house, for instance,” Martin says.
What antiques are worth money?
23 Types of Valuable Antiques to Look For
- Novelty Barware. While many barware sets have value, it’s usually in the range of $20 to $100, depending on the materials and style.
- Hunting Decoys. You’ve probably seen those wooden ducks sitting in antique shops.
- Depression Glass.
- Original Paintings.
- Barber Chairs.
- Old Clocks.
- Cast Iron Doorstops.
Do antique shops make money?
How much profit can an antique store make? A standard profit margin for many dealers is about 30%, but keep in mind that you will be taking out listing fees, consignment fees, and other expenses. A successful antiques business owner can see an income of between $45,000 and $60,000 a year.
How do I get into antique dealing?
You do not need any particular qualifications to be an antique dealer. You could start in this career in any of the following ways:
- working in an antiques shop as an assistant or general worker.
- working in a salesroom or an auction house as a porter, clerk, cataloguer, valuer or auctioneer.
Where is the best place to buy antiques online?
10 Top Places to Buy Antiques Online Safely
- Sotheby’s – Best for Fine Art Antiques.
- Rejuvenation – Best for Restored Antiques.
- Modern Antiquarian – Best for Curated Antique Items.
- Amazon – Best for Collectibles.
- TIAS Antiques – Best for Advertising Antiques.
- Srchie – Best for Buying Cheap Antiques Online.
- Look Beyond eBay and Craigslist.
What to look out for when buying antiques?
Look for hallmarks on silver and pottery and labels on furniture. Occasionally an original shipping address or maker’s location will be taped on or etched in the wood on the back of a piece of furniture. Consider whether the piece needs restoration, or revamping. More valuable antiques could lose value if recovered.
What should I look for when buying antique furniture?
8 tips for buying antique furniture
- Look closely to see how the piece was made.
- Check out the hardware.
- Try to find a signature, a label, or a stamp.
- Check for damage.
- Know the difference between a repair and a replacement.
- Decide how you feel about refinished furniture.
- Online auctions are okay!
- Always buy what you love.
What’s the difference between antique and vintage?
Antique: a collectible item at least 100 years old. Vintage: A culturally significant item ranging from 20-99 years in age, worthy of being collected.
Why antiques are not selling?
Another reason antiques in general are not selling as well, is because baby-boomers are downsizing their homes, and flooding the market with antiques and other furniture. Large antique cabinets, bookcases and china cabinets seem too large for today’s look, and often don’t work well with open-concept homes.
Is there an app to identify antiques?
The antique identification and value app is a great electronic alternative to the basic professional appraisal form typically used by certified appraisers. All of the information in the Antique Appraisal Form Mobile App will be saved and easy to access at any time.
Do pawn shops buy antiques?
Bottom line: because every pawn shop must consider the needs of the community it serves, not every pawn shop will buy or pawn antique furniture. Your best bet is to call around to the pawn shops in your city and visit them to see if they might be interested in your furniture.